Sunday, October 19, 2014

Solace




I first saw reference to India Flint’s Solace project on Mo’s blog and instantly knew I wanted to take part.

I contemplated words for several days.  What brings me solace? 







 The main part of the cloth is muslin from an apron that my mother made.  Made and wore.  It bears food stains that remained after many, many washings.  And when retired from daily use, the apron went on to the rag bag to be of further use.  Because that was the way things were done.  Cloth was not thrown away.  After my mother died in 2002, my brothers and I cleaned out her house in preparation to sell it.  My husband and I rented a truck and brought some of her furniture home.  I grabbed the rag bag because we needed some padding between pieces of furniture.  Otherwise, this bag of remnants would probably have been lost in the shuffle.  There was just so much to deal with and think about.  But in such an odd way this bag of old worn out cloth has been one of the greatest treasures rescued from her life. 

So... that apron fragment is the base cloth.  "Earth" is held by the apron’s bottom hem.  The ties are very old cotton twill tape from my grandmother’s sewing basket.  And because I wanted some extra fluttery-ness, I wove in three strips of very thin cloth.  This cloth was given to me by a friend.  It is from a cotton nightgown; so fine, soft, and thin.  It was worn until it was beginning to fall apart.  These thin tails will likely be the first thing to break down as this cloth flies in the wind.

All of these cloths were lightly dyed with black walnuts that grew on our land.  Knowing that India plans to overdye all the flags in indigo, I left the cloth fairly plain.  The colors of my embroidery floss words will likely disappear or transform in the overdye but the imprint, the texture of them will remain.  The intent is firmly anchored by the handling whether they show up or not.  It feels so good to send this cloth with its very personal her-story to join the others in carrying messages on the wind in faraway Australia.  The interconnected web.  Thank you so much India.



14 comments:

  1. A beautiful flag and lovely words, what a lovely way to use preloved and worn cloth. I hope to contribute to these flags as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you for taking the time to comment. I'll look forward to seeing your cloth. It felt so good to do this and was kind of freeing having basic instructions and knowing it will be overdyed.

      Delete
  2. oh what a beautiful solace flag and love the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mo. And thanks again for mentioning this project. I might have missed it otherwise. I just can't keep up with all the wonderful blogs out there.

      Delete
  3. I love that you photographed your flag flying in the breeze ... the soft cloth fluttering out ... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. We went on walk about trying out different trees and it was fun. And the fluttering was just as I imagined.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jude. This was different for me--knowing it would be outdoors and weathered. Trying to imagine what would break down first. What might remain for a while.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Beth! I love it so much! So meaningful & lovely, beautifully done. I love how the flowy layers entwine. And SEEDS! Seeds make me feel so hopeful, seeing them sprout through gives me JOY! Great concept & wonderful execution. <3 Incredibly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly. I hope you will do one and we can mail together so our words will be next to each other in what I imagine will be a most wonderful poem. When you are done we can hang them together and take a photo. Love you.

      Delete
  6. Wow! I've been alternately thinking about and forgetting India's Solace Project, but this beautiful, meaning-full pennant is such an inspiration. A kick in the pants for me. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words Dana. It felt so good to do this. The thinking about it, picking the cloth, stitching, imagining the final installation with others. I actually had a dream where I saw the blue flags all together in the wind and the red Australian soil. Hope you go for it.

      Delete
  7. i put this on the email spot by mistake, so for you it will be a repeat.
    Your flag is very Tender...the choice of fabric and the story of it makes it Even More.
    the streamers flying out....a perfect addition. That last photograph ...... love that a Lot.
    I haven't begun yet. Still don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt really good, Grace. Brought me solace in a way. There is still quite a bit of time--so you will or you won't, as those things go. The email spot? I am only seeing this comment.

      Delete